HOw DO I CATCH UP ON ALL THAT I"VE NOT BLOGGED ABOUT
Okay, it really is disgraceful how long I have neglected my blog. I like to blog. I like to read others blogs. I really have had a lot to say. Ah, but time has not been my friend. So here is the bulleted update of the monumental changes in the Matthews personal lives that have occured since my last post over THREE months ago. Golly this is overdue:
* Had our house in Wilmore for sale since April, showed it a bejillion times (those of you who have sold houses know what this means - the hours of hurried cleaning, the hours spent off somewhere doing stuff while someone looks at your house - usually at the most inconvenient time like when you are supposed to eat dinner, and then the waiting and hoping that this might be the one - Still gives me cold chills remembering how long we endured that nightmare)
* Had not one but four different offers that we put on houses in Lexington that we were hoping to buy. Yes, four. All but three fell through. More on that later.
* Had not one but three different offers fall through on our house that we were trying to sell. Yes, three. Now each one of the offers we made and received represents hours of time spent on the phone negotiating with agents and filling out paperwork, mind you. And we had a great real estate agent. We just had an an older home that needed someone committed to some TLC on our little bungalow in Wilmore.
* FINALLY, when we had all but given up and taken the house off the market, were planning on staying put and doing the work on our house ourselves, the last offer we received was resurrected and our house was finally sold.
* Then we had to get out quick and get us someplace to move to. So in two days essentially we looked, found, made an offer and were on our way to Lexington. We had less than two week to finalize all the real estate paperwork, box up all our stuff and move. And this was all happened in the two weeks right as school started, so there was back to school crap to buy, we had to transfer the boys to new schools and drive them up there for a week until we moved, and again lots of paperwork to do for them, too. We then finally moved over the weekend of Aug. 20th. Whew!
* SIMULTANEOUS TO ALL THIS, my job was in flux. I was trying to go part time at work, hire a director of my division to replace me so I could go part time, lots of other changes and upheavals in the organization I was working for. I began looking for other job opportunities and a couple fell in my lap. So at the same time we are in the house selling and buying mode, I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with my life, too. Had two different job offers that came through in late July about the same time we were all in an uproar over the last house offer falling through. Not knowing whether we were coming or going, I have to decide whether to leave my job and then if so which offer I would accept.
* Decided to take the job opportunity working for Kentucky state government - good opportunity, still part time and better pay - can't beat that. Began that job September 12th.
* Since then it has been all transition, unpacking, getting oriented and finding our way on a major scale. But, it looks like things are slowing down and normalizing a little. I think. I hope.
Now, beyond all this stuff, two major things need to be emphasized. First, God's grace and timing is always perfect, even though at the time I questioned it A LOT. (Ask my husband about my ranting.) I believe, for so many reasons, we are exactly where God wants us to be.
Second, you don't survive what we just did and not pray A LOT. More than I ever have in my whole life, I have prayed for the situation, my family, God's guidance -- and gut wrenching Psalm-style prayers. (I can really relate to the God-where-in-the-heck-are-you and why did you leave me here all alone laments of the Psalm writers.)
Amazingly, Peter and I did not kill each other or even want to at any time in the whole process. We generally do not move well - but this time was different and that was good. The kids seem to be adjusting although I am still monitoring this situation closely. Things have a tendency to emerge later...
Anyway, that's my update, and that should be enough for now. Peace.

<< Home