In-Trud-ers Mind

~ a little look at the zany world of Trudi Matthews ~

Monday, July 31, 2006

REFLECTIONS ON HIGH SCHOOL PART II

Andy asked for funny stories - was I too philosophical, too academic in my reflections? Okay, here is a funny story from the reunion and memories from HS that make me smile.

Funny/ironic story:

I was in theatre in HS (I know this is a big shock to some of you that a WALLFLOWER like me would do this but nonetheless its true.) During one of our theatre productions directed by one Mrs. Ivan, very aptly named because she was a tyrant really, there was a quiet guy who was part of the nameless faceless techie people (not a THESPIAN like myself). Anyway, one day after one of Mrs. Ivan's tirades thise techie guy just up and said I quit I am not taking this anymore. We were all rather stunned because no one ever stood up to Mrs. Ivan and lived to talk about it with a shred of dignity. She responded with - Brian, you will never amount to anything, if you are such a quitter! Mark my words. Yeah, famous last words, the guy turned out to be a real entreprenuer, computer and real estate whiz and is now financially at least worth about 8X Mrs Ivan's lifetime retail value.

Okay now pure nostalgia:
* Cast parties where we did moves from Thriller (See movie 13 going on 30 to grasp just how dorky yet fun this was.)
* My lopsided senior picture haircut - yes I was a mini-punk rocker, asymetrical haircut and multiple piercings and all.
* Memories of senior homecoming dance when I had to drive myself, my date the German foreign exchange student, Stefan, the Swedish foreign exchange student Frederick, and a friend named Patty around in my mothers tiny, beat up Toyota Corolla. Patty and Frederick made out in the back seat the whole night. Stefan messed with the radio in the car and complained about how my mother's car would never be allowed on the roads in Germany. (Thank heaven he didn't try to kiss me - YECH there are some things that can really ruin international relations and that would have been one of them.)
*The eccentric yet brilliant guy in debate class, Joe, who would disappear into the drop down ceilings when the teacher would leave the classroom. He would climb around and visit other classrooms using the vents and pipes. Never got caught and was too smart to get in trouble anyway. Honor roll students get away with a lot more than other kids do.