In-Trud-ers Mind

~ a little look at the zany world of Trudi Matthews ~

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Today is the boys first day of the new school year. I always loved going back to school. Summer was hard (although also very fun) because I missed all my friends from school. Plus it was always fun to get new clothes and school supplies. Ah, the smell of brand new rubber erasers and crayons - Ain't nothing like it.

We had a talk with both boys about friendships and making good choices in these first critical days of school. I have to admit that as each year goes by my angst as a mother grows. Am I really doing all I can to help them to be young men of character? Does the teaching they get at home about right behavior - morals, manners and hygiene included - come out when they are away from us?

I have to say that if personal hygiene is any indicator of how well we are doing, I have reason to be worried. My sons just do not feel it is necessary to wash their hands, face and teeth everyday as I do. And taking a bath or shower everyday? Forget it. Now my older son who is becoming a teenager soon is starting to finally get the importance of cleanliness, but even he rolls his eyes at me.

Fortunately, at heart, these guys are both good kids. But I do worry and I talk to them about my worries which is always a treat for them. (I can tell by how they look at me with that please dear Lord make her stop face.) But I hope some of it sinks in. Afterall, I remember times when I had brand new clothes and new school supplies and didn't brush my teeth or face before heading off to school...and I eventually got it that these things are necessary and eventually became a productive member of society with appropriate personal hygiene, manners and, even more importantly, good morals.

So, here's to the start of another school year - there's always so much to learn!